Wednesday, August 7, 2013

So little cake but so much chaos!

Last week was my mothers 50th Birthday. We went down to her place for the weekend for her large birthday bash. It was a lot of fun but exhausting. People overload.
My aunts were there, my Grandma was there, a family friend was there all weekend constantly taking pictures of everyone and chasing Lea with the camera (we called him the Pooperatzi). There were 70 people at my mothers actual birthday party.
Amazingly enough both the caterer and the bakery over estimated how much my parents guest could eat and only half the food was gone by the end of the night.
I have at least a week worth of brisket in the fridge...but only one slice of cake. My mom was a bit stingy on the cake left overs. Im not too surprised, it was good cake.

After all the people all weekend long I was very happy to get home and have some quiet time. Lea was obviously overwhelmed and acting up from being off her routine. We made it home early, unpacked the car, and were ready for a night of nothing when my aunt called. The one who is taking a temp nursing job here in MN. The cousin of ours she was staying with wasnt home (because she told him that she would be there that night and showed up at 2pm surprised he wasnt home) and Gramzy needed to sit down so she was heading to my house. Ok.... so I entertained and Lea was the subject of the pooperatzi for another night. I love my family and never see them so whatever. I could have sweet quiet and routine Monday night once our normal week started up. 

Monday night I came home to my aunt sitting in my house. She thought she would come and hang out after her CPR test. I gave her a key the night before after she was yelling about our cousin not being home and told her she could stop by whenever she wanted. Oh silly silly me. 
She chased Lea around again with her camera, we took a walk and bought a powerball ticket, and I finally kicked her out way past Leas bed time so I could put Lea down. 

Tuesday night I went home to sweet sweet routine empty house. 
I made dinner, Lea and I played, we did bath time, we started reading stories....then it started raining...and hailing...I could hear it hitting the roof...then halfway through Bears New Friend the power went out.
I walked out into the living room to see what the heck was going on and saw that the storm that was hitting us was so bad I couldnt even see the next door neighbors house through the rain and the hail. (I live in compact suburbs so thats pretty damn bad. The neighbors fence is maybe 20 feet away and I couldnt see it)
We have a large tree that if it came down would crush half the house so I immediately decided that the house wasnt safe, grabbed a blanket for Lea, grabbed her diaper bag and my cell phone, and sat out the storm in the basement. 
Funny thing was I was really scared and worried that my being scared would make Lea scared so I sat in the basement with her pressed up against me and sang the whole time to keep her calm. She didnt make a peep and I didnt realize she was asleep until the storm was over and I put her down in her crib. 
After I put Lea into bed I ran out to see if everyone else lost power. They did and they all also ran out to see the damage. It was pretty bad. Street lights were totally snapped in half, trees were down, cars and houses were missing windows from the hail.
My car and Maors truck that I now need to sell because he got a new one were fine....much to my disappointment...because when you want your car to be destroyed so you can get the insurance money for it it never is.
I did jump into action after figuring out the power wasnt going to be a quick fix and pulled out my life supply of tea lights that I never know WHY I have but always do no matter where I go. I called Maor to make sure he was ok and kept getting his voice mail. So I nervous cleaned for 2 hours by candle light until I was too tired to clean anymore.
He did come home around 11:30...and I yelled at him for tracking mud on my clean floors.

The power was still out when I woke up in the morning. Luckily I could take a hot shower but I had no idea what I was wearing when I walked out the door, my hair wasnt done, and I didnt get my coffee.
I did stop at Starbucks and had a good time picking out who had power at their house and who didnt. I suspect the women doing their makeup in line did not, the guy with the back of his hair standing on end did not, and that woman in the smart suit, caked on makeup, and fantastic hair did (that bitch).

The power was back on when I came home from work and I didnt find any relatives sitting in my living room...so I did get a break this evening.

However the relatives will be back on Friday.



I had to add the beer picture purely because I like the name.

1 comment:

  1. I love a good storm! Of course I like them more when none of my shit is damaged and no one gets hurt. Sounds like y'all had a full week in just a few days' time!

    ritchie

    ReplyDelete